Monday, April 11, 2011

Yarrow tea - Monday, April 11, 2011

Today, hot Yarrow tea made from Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) stems, flowers and leaves purchased at People’s Food Coop. I purchased a small amount and made one cup (2 actual cups) of hot tea for this evening. It smells woodsy and is a light brown translucent. It smells better than it tastes, it’s not bad, kind of bitter and rather woodsy as well. I await the warmth hoping that drinking this before bed, that I don’t experience the diuretic effect.


Exciting day! I finally purchased a scale. It’s a small Escali Pico scale (model N115) with a capacity of 11 pounds. It takes a 9V battery and it cost me $26.00. Unfortunately, I did not research the best most cost efficient scale. Fortunately, I went to my favorite local kitchen store, Mirador, and purchased the only scale that they have to offer. This is more my style, I like to support local stores, hence all of the shopping at People’s Food Coop.


Another exciting purchase, at People’s, organic Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) seeds from Horizon Herbs. There is a bit of Yarrow in the community herb garden and it does grow around here but I would love to grow my very own Yarrow. I will plant some in a pot outside of my door and some in my garden. The package reads, Mounding and creeping herbaceous or evergreen perennial, flowering to 2 feet tall. Plant thrives in regular garden or woodland soil in full sun to part shade. Sow in spring, directly in the garden or in pots. Barely cover seeds, tamp firmly and keep evenly moist until germ, which take about a week. Thin or transplant to 1 foot apart.


By sowing these seeds you are taking part in the preservation of healing plants worldwide.


Horizon Herbs provides non-GMO seeds packed in packages made of recycled paper and printed with soy-based ink.


The day gets better yet, I have received a message from my friend who has Nettle for me. Now to get in touch with another friend who has offered me the barrel. Fill it with soil, plant Nettle and happy-day. Renee, the herbalist in the making.


The smell of Yarrow reminds me of something, perhaps cooking, that I cannot recall. It has left my tongue with an interesting sensation. My stomach also has a weird sensation though I can’t say for sure that the Yarrow is the cause of this as I did just eat dinner. Although, it could be the astringent qualities of Yarrow. As my tea cools before I drink all of it, I can smell the flowers.


Goal!: Upon talking to a friend about herbs today, I realized that there are a couple of herb shops not too far from my home that I have never been to. OMG! How could this be? I couldn’t say and have decided to make a goal rather than try. My goal is to visit both of these shops and write about my experience.


No comments: