A great place to start learning plants is with the poisonous plants. Always be 100% sure of your identification and NEVER, ever use any plant that you are unsure about.
Poison Control 1-800-222-1222
The most toxic wild plants in our area:
- Pacific Yew (Taxus brevifolia)
- Death Camas (Zygadenus venenosus)
- Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)
- Larkspurs (Delphinium sp.)
- Water Hemlock (Cicuta douglasii)
- Skunk Cabbage (Lysichiton americanum)
- False Hellebore (Veratrum spp.)
- Bleeding Heart (Dicentra formosa)
- Acconite (Aconitum sp.)
- Baneberry (Actea Rubra)
- Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum)
- Poison Oak (Toxicodendron diversilobum)
I ordered Common Poisonous Plant and Mushrooms of North America by Nancy Turner along with Foundations of Health: Healing with Herbs and Food by Christopher Hobbs. I admit that I am addicted to books; not the worst addiction to have.