Saturday, April 9, 2011

Nettle tea - Saturday, April 9, 2011

Thursday evening I started a cold infusion of Nettle tea. I’ve been drinking it since yesterday morning, having the last of it this morning. The dark greenish-brown Nettle tea is so earthy and nutrition tasting. I purchased 3 ounces of Nettles (Urtica dioica) from Limbo. Knowing that I have 3 ounces is helpful and my ratios are more accurate since I still do not have a scale.


This morning I made an infusion of the Nettle leaves in hot water. Cold infusions are nice and I look forward to drinking more of them when the weather is warm, but for right now, I would like some hot tea.


Nettle, according to Green, is a spring tonic and a general alterative detoxifying agent which clears out waste products, strengthen the mucosa of the urinary, digestive, and respiratory systems, and when taken fresh works against the allergic response to hayfever. It prevents uric acid build-up in joints and is extremely helpful in cases of gout, rheumatism, and arthritis. It is an astringent, which is useful for relieving excessive discharge and bleeding, and is diuretic and hypotensive.


Helpful definitions. (Green, James. The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook - A Home Manuel. 2000)

  • tonic - stimulates nutrition by improving assimilation which improves systemic tone, giving increased vigor and strength to the tissues of the body organs.
  • alterative - gradually restore health and vitality to the body by helping the body assimilate nutrients, eliminate waste, and restore proper function.
  • astringent - contracts, firms, and strengthens body tissues by precipitating proteins, and can reduce excess secretions and discharge.

Mmm, Nettle tea is so delicious and nutritious. I like it warm too.

No comments: