Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nettle tea & Aloe - Sunday, April 10, 2011

Yesterday evening while readying to saute some shiitake mushrooms from the farmer’s market, I burned my finger on the stove coil. Ouch! What to do? Everyone knows to use Aloe (Aloe vera) from the potted house plant, right. Well, I had a moment of panic before I recalled this information from my brain. I alternated a cold pack and the gel from inside the Aloe leaf through out the evening. Miraculous healing occurred and today I don’t even feel that I’ve been burnt. I am very thankful for the healing that the Aloe has provided me. Thanks Aloe vera!


I am still drinking Nettle tea daily. Last night a started a cold infusion that I’ve been drinking today. I am enjoying the Nettle tea, it’s very refreshing. I like it both cold and hot. I have plans to grow Nettles at my home in a big barrel, same as the one planted at the Cora house. A friend of mine is bringing me a plant that he’s digging up from Farmageddon Growers’ Collective. I look forward to growing and harvesting my own Nettle.


Tomorrow I will purchase another herb to be my next tea friend. I am looking at Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) which according to Missy, warms the body during a sluggish cold. Since I am still fighting off my cold and since I am always cold lately, I think I will try it.


According to Green, Yarrow is one of the best of the diaphoretic herbs, making it a standard remedy for reducing fever. (That would have been great information last week.) It reduces hypertension and is a tonic. The herb’s main uses; astringent, anti-septic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and a diuretic remedy for the genito-urinary system.

  • tonic - stimulates nutrition by improving assimilation which improves systemic tone, giving increased vigor and strength to the tissues of the body organs.
  • astringent - contracts, firms, and strengthens body tissues by precipitating proteins, and can reduce excess secretions and discharge.
  • anti-septic - prevents or eliminates sepsis (infectious destructive condition of tissue)
  • anti-inflammatory - combats extensive or too-painful occurrence of inflammation.
  • antispasmodic - prevents or eases spasms or cramping in the body.
  • diuretic - increase the flow of urine.

(Green, James. The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook - A Home Manuel. 2000)


No comments: