- 3 sepals
- 3 petals
- (6 tepals; sepals and petals are identical)
- 6 stamens (3 may be lacking anthers)
- superior ovary
Edible members of this family include; onions, garlic, leek (Allium genus) and asparagus.
- 3 sepals (one usually modified)
- 3 petals (lower petal modified into a lip)
- sometimes with an extending spur
- inferior ovary
- 1 to 2 stamens combined with the pistil into a column
Orchids have established an intimate relationship between their roots and the fungi growing in the soil.
The Orchid family is the biggest family of flowering plants.
Vanilla flavoring is extracted from the immature pods of Vanilla planifolia.