Thursday, March 31, 2011

Home drinking Ginger tea - Thursday, March 31st, 2011

Today I make a Ginger decoction! I used 32 ounces of filtered water and I used a potato peeler to grate the ginger. I do not have a scale and guessed at what an ounces of Ginger would be.


A decoction is made by simmering plant parts in boiling water for at least 20 minutes. (Arctos) It smells so good.


Also, due to having a cold, I’ve been taking a tincture that my naturopathic provider gave to me. The tincture includes: Echinacea, Elder, Osha, Myrrh and Elecampane. Dr. Mindy Cash wrote 3-4 droppersful every 3-5 hours for viral or respiratory support.


It took this tincture 4 times through out the day. I noted that my throat stopped hurting.


Upon looking up these herb’s core benefits I found: (Bremness, Lesley. The Essential Herbs Handbook, Duncan Baird Publishers 2009) Found here unless otherwise stated*

  • Echinacea (Echinacea angustifolia) kick-starts immunity, antimicrobial, reduces inflammation
  • Elder (Sambucus nigra) inhibits viruses, soothes nerves, supports skin
  • Osha (Ligusticum porteri) bronchitis, cold, irritating coughs *(http://www.natural-herbal-remedies.net/osha-herb.html)
  • Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha) raises consciousness, heals the skin, clears respiration
  • Elecampane (Inula selenium) bronchitis, chronic cough, asthma *(http://www.natural-herbal-remedies.net/elecampane-herb.html)

I have bolded the benefit, that I believe, is the reason it has been added to my tincture.


When I awoke today, I had a fever. Throughout the night I kept waking up feeling super cold and each time I turned the heat up a bit. I had fleece pajama bottoms, long sleeve top & my bed covers: flannel sheet, down comforter, fleece blankets and an afghan. My fever was anywhere from 99.7-100.1 according to a electric sublingual thermometer. I don’t usually experience fever and would say this is high enough to stay away from others. By 7pm my temperature read 98.7 degrees fahrenheit. Hooray for the natural fever to assist in fighting off whatever it was fighting off.


My theory is that on my hike on Saturday I did not dress warm enough. I dressed for a hike, one where I would get warm, forgetting that this is more of a stroll in the woods. Therefore, I was cold for most of the day. Then on Wednesday, Mindy gave me a deep tissue massage that broke up a lot of the crud. Between being chilled and the crud break up, my body decided to take care of issues by burning them out. Well done body.

No comments: